The more research thats been done, points us back to eating healthy, whole foods like we used to 100 years ago.
Processed foods do several things that are not in our healths best interests. Processing foods by cooking often loses precious nutrients. We add sugars, fats, and preservatives when we process foods.
- Phytochemicals (or phytonutrients), one of hundreds of plant based food components discovered within the past ten years include:
- Powerful antioxidant lycopene
- Red-colored carotenoid found mainly in tomatoes
- Anthocyanins, a powerful antioxidant that gives deep blue color to berries
- Pterostilbene, which appears to turn on a “switch” in cells that breaks down fat and cholesterol, and is found in blueberries and the Gamay and Pinot Noir varieties of grapes.
2. US Dept. of Ag says we lack nutrients that help ward off cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
- Vit C, vit A, magnesium, fiber
Most health experts say that we should be eating more whole foods that improve our health and prevents disease.
Consider these changes to your diet:
Whole grains instead of refined grains whenever possible.
Fruits, vegetables, and beans instead of supplements to provide the fiber and vitamins they contain.
A skinless chicken breast cooked with healthful ingredients instead of chicken nuggets processed with added fats, flavorings, and preservatives.
A baked potato with chopped green onions and light sour cream instead of a bag of sour cream and onion potato chips.
Fresh berries with breakfast instead of raspberry toaster pastries or breakfast bars.
A blueberry smoothie made with blueberries, yogurt, and a frozen banana instead of a blue-colored slushy or icee.
There are so many researched plant based whole foods that can give us the health that processed foods cannot even begin to offer. Consider how many health problems we have now compared to a hundred years ago.
With all the research out there concerning whole natural foods versus processed foods on our health, I am astonished that its still a question of how you should choose to eat.
Processed foods are killing us! Period! Make it a goal to replace a small portion of your processed foods at a time, adding whole, plant based foods. Try to eat more raw greens, fruits, and whole grains.
You will gradually get used to the changes and feel too good to go back to the processed poisons.