This breakfast casserole is absolutely amazing. There are no measurements, and its easy to include anything your heart desires into it. I prepare this regularly with lots of different ingredients in the mix.
Here is what you will need:
- Butter Flavored Crisco (a thick layer rubbed into your baking dish….glop it on THICK)
- Frozen Tater-Tots ( you can grate your own fresh potatoes….I do a lot of the time)
- Cooked bacon pieces or ham pieces…use any cooked meat or no meat.
- 6-10 eggs beaten with a splash of milk for “fluff”
- Diced onions
- Diced bell pepper
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
***Notes: I used a non-stick fry pan this time around. A baking pan or casserole dish is also good. I have used each.
- Spread a thick layer of Crisco into your baking dish. I guess you can use any oil or even butter, but I have found Butter Crisco works best for the bottom crunch, and it tastes sooo good. I used a coffee filter to spread it!
- Add a single layer of Tater-Tots (frozen) or grated potato to the bottom
- Salt and pepper your potatoes
- Beat your eggs well adding a splash of milk or cream
- Add your diced onions and peppers, and salt and pepper to your egg mixture
- Layer half your bacon or other cooked meat evenly over the potatoes.
- Layer half your cheese over the cooked meat
- Pour the egg mixture over it all. You should have enough egg mixture to cover the rest of the layered ingredients or be level with the ingredients at least.
- Add the remainder of meat on top of the egg.
- Bake in pre-heated oven on 350 degrees F for an hour covered. The timing depends on the thickness of the ingredients layers. The fry pan this time took an hour….the baking pan or larger pans take longer. Judge your timing based on the egg in the center. When its cooked and not egg slime…its done! (I know…I have a way with words lol)
- About 10 to 15 minutes before the casserole is done, add the remaining cheese to the top and finish baking.
I LOVE cooking meals that can just be thrown together without measuring everything. Simple is GOOD!
Enjoy! When you try this, I want to see your results. Share them here please!