This crunchy fried chicken is another family favorite. I use crackers or potato chips in place of bread crumbs and it is mouth watering and delicious!
Yield: 5 – 8 pieces of chicken
- 5-8 pieces of chicken
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup saltine cracker crumbs crushed finely
- oil for deep frying
- Mix buttermilk and egg well in a bowl all of your chicken will fit into.
- On a plate, or in a gallon sized ziplock bag, combine flour, cornstarch, cracker crumbs, and seasoning.
- Let chicken soak in buttermilk for an hour.
- Dredge in flour then back into buttermilk, then flour again.
- Fry chicken on medium heat in deepfryer or fry pan, until chicken is done and coating is a deep brown color.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve warm!
- If your chicken coating is browning too fast, reduce temperature of the oil some.
- I never par-boil, but if you need to be sure your chicken cooks completely through without burning the coating, than parboiling is okay!